Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Power of the #Tag

As most of you know, while I consult on Social Media, I also hold down a day job as a Global Sales Operations leader at Dell, inc.  Today and tomorrow, we're hosting the Dell Annual Analyst Conference.  As you can imagine, industry analysts in high tech are power users when it comes to social media!  Interestingly enough though, I had a question poised to me today I didn't expect.  "Do you just use hashtags randomly or how should they really be used?"  

This took me by surprise, but not for the person asking or how they asked, more that I realized I took for granted the smallest and yet coolest tool we use on a day to day basis, the #!

Most of you who follow me realize that my answer to that question is no, I don't use them randomly.  I personally use them to add context and tone to my tweets.  I feel 140 characters is a very minimal amount of space and the correct utilization of a properly included hashtag can easily change the receipt of your message.

For example, let us say the message I'm about to tweet is this, "What a time at the event today!"  I know, I'm not the cheerleader tweeter so I'd never really post this, but roll with me on this one.  For starters, most people will take that simple line as it was a good event.  But, let's expand it and see how we can change it:

Example 1: "What a time at the event today! #Sarcasm"
Example 2: "What a time at the event today! #PraiseToTheStaff"
Example 3: "What a time at the event today! #TGIF"
Example 4: "What a time at the event today! #ExcellentDiscussions"

See how things change so quickly?  Example one now looks like the event was terrible and I'm being smarky.  Example two now looks like the event's facilities and logistics took precedence over the content.  Example three meanwhile implies I'm more interested in the weekend's activities than the actual event and could be construed as smarky again, or just aloof.  Then finally, example four clearly spells out the benefits of attending.

All saying the same thing, but with added context, flavor and meaning behind them!  Now, there is something to be said for utilization of hashtags when it comes to the consistency part of personal and professional branding.  If all you do is insert sarcastic hashtags to comments, the times you do use genuine tags, they more than likely will be seen as veiled sarcasm.  Conversely, if you aren't witty or good with quick jabs, adding that snidly hashtag may be seen as almost rude since your audience may be so used to your good nature and often informational tags!  As with everything social, while your content is King, your consistency is Queen!

When wrapped up in the Twitterverse, we may not take the time to think about hashtagging and how it can impact our tweets, but if you do, you can easily set yourself apart, both in your immediate tweet, but in your consistent approach.  Hashtagging opens the door to a bigger picture on your comments, and one that allows users to see a personal side of you if done right.  I challenge you to be creative with your hashtags, but not so much that no one knows was #WJLKFHPIT stands for.

Oh, and for the record, "What a time at the event today! #SuperbChats #CantWaitForTomorrow" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment